Being created by God does not automatically make one a child of God. So do not erroneously assume you are the child of God until you have believed in the name of Jesus.
· “He (Jesus) was in the world, and though the world was made through Him, the world did not recognize Him. He came to that which was His own, but His own did not receive Him. Yet to all who received Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God-children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God” (Jn 1:10-13).
· “You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus” (Gal 3:26).
Faith in Jesus Christ guarantees eternal life with God in heaven.
· “I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God (Jesus) so that you may know that you have eternal life” (1 Jn 5:13).
Proof that you are a child of God
· He has given you His Spirit, “Because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of His Son into your hearts,’” (Gal 4:6a). The Spirit bears witness with your spirit that you are a child of God (Rom 8:16).
Advantages of being a child of God: (not all inclusive)
· You can rightfully call Him “Abba, Father” (Gal 4:6b).
· You are an heir (Gal 4:7b).
· “Now if we are children, then we are heirs – heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ” (Rom 8:17a).
· You are part of the body/church of Christ (Eph 5:30; Acts 2:47).
· You have eternal life, “Whoever hears my word and believes Him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life” (Jn5:24).
· You have an advocate with God any time you mess up, “If anybody does sin we have One who speaks to the Father in our defense – Jesus Christ, the righteous One” (1 Jn 2:1b).