Every Christian should participate in this discussion; the discussion about our Lord’s return, it is that important! The apostle Peter describes how things are going to be like when the Lord returns, and then based on the information he provided, he asked this very important question: “What kind of people ought you to be?”
So let’s see what the Day of the Lord (the Lord’s Return) is going to look like: that day will come like a thief (when we least expect). And on that day, “The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be burned up” (2 Pet 3:10).
Peter’s question, based on this fact is, “Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be” (2 Pet 3:11a)? He then gives the answer, “You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day…melt in the heat” (2Pet 3:11b-12).
So we need to:
· Look forward to His coming – “If the owner of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming, he would not have let his house be broken into. You also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect Him” (Lk 12:39-40).
· Live holy lives – be found spotless, blameless, and at peace with God (2 Pet 3:11b, 14b).
· Speed His coming with evangelism – “And the gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come” (2 Pet 3:12; Mt 24:14).
· Know the word of God, be on your guard, and do not be deceived (2 Pet 3:17).
· Store up our treasures in heaven, where there will be no fire, moth, rust, stealing, or any kind of destruction (2 Pet 3:11; Mt 6:20).